arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Commemorative Brochure of the opening of Michael Sobell Sports Centre, Aberdare, 10 November 1970

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1
Image 2:Download link to the full resolution of image number 2
full resolution of image 2
Image 3:Download link to the full resolution of image number 3
full resolution of image 3
Image 4:Download link to the full resolution of image number 4
full resolution of image 4
Image 5:Download link to the full resolution of image number 5
full resolution of image 5

Description

A commemorative brochure produced for the official opening of the Michael Sobell Sports Centre. The front of the brochure reads ‘Urban District Council of Aberdare, Michael Sobell Sports Centre, Official Opening by H.R.H the Prince of Wales, 10 November 1970.’ There is also a sepia toned photograph of the sports centre. The front has been signed by Gordan Richards and Michael Sobell. The inside left page is orange and includes a small image of Michael Sobell in the top left corner and information about his philanthropic work in Aberdare. The right page is a full black and white image of the sports centre. Another page describes the architectural and building process and how Michael Sobell came to ‘meet the cost of its construction and equipment.’ The next page is a black and white image of the inside of the sports centre, showing a sports and gymnasium hall with a trampoline and two table tennis tables.

Michael Sobell was a British businessman and philanthropist. He was born in Galicia into a Jewish family. His family owned factories in the Austro-Hungarian empire. The family moved to England in 1903 in order to escape antisemitism. Sobell made a career as a pioneer in electronics through his Radio and Allied Industries Ltd. In 1961, his company merged with The General Electric Company (GEC), making the family GEC’s largest shareholders.

As Michael Sobell’s business flourished, he became involved in educational and other institutions that advanced science. He also set up the Anne and Michael Sobell Trust, which provided financial support to a variety of benevolent causes including medical, educational and fitness endeavours. As a result of this the Michael Sobell Sports centre in Aberdare was built. Michael Sobell gave a donation of £366,000 to Aberdare Urban District Council. The Sports Centre was opened in 1970 by HRH the Prince of Wales and Michael Sobell.

At the turn of the 20th century, the Cynon Valley had a small Jewish community, consisting of some fifty families throughout the towns of Abercynon, Penrhiwceiber, Mountain Ash, Aberaman and Aberdare. Most of Jewish families came to Aberdare from Eastern Europe, mainly Russia. The earliest record of Jewish presence and activity in the Cynon Valley dates to 1858-9. The name of Harris Freedman and the partnership of Lyons and Hyman are listed as trading as pawnbrokers and general dealers in Aberdare.

Initially the Jewish community worshipped in individuals' homes or business premises but in 1887 David Hart allowed the use of his premises at 19a Seymour Street, Aberdare, as a permanent Synagogue. The Aberdare Hebrew congregation was at its largest, with around 90 members, from the 1910s to the 1930s. However, the community declined and services had virtually ceased by 1957, when the congregation was down to 35. In 1966 it was reported that services were no longer held there. The building, now a private residence again, received a blue commemorative plaque in 2015.

Depository: Cynon Valley Museum: ACVMS 2009 118

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment