arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Welsh Place-names: Llanllugan

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

Llanlugan 1239, 1535, Lanlugan c.1291, (abades) llanlhig 1377, Llanllogan 1535, Llanlligan 1536-9, 1579-80, Llanllygan 1537, c.1679, Llanllugan 1562, ll.llygan c.1566

Welsh llan and a river-name or a personal name Llugan probably containing Welsh llug, 'light', found in river-names such as Llugwy alias Lugg in Radnorshire and Herefordshire, and a suffix -an. Several scholars have identified Llanllugan with lann lugyzn (=Llann Llugyrn) in the poem Cân Tysilio (Song to St Tysilio') of Cynddelw (c.1155-95) and W.J. Rees and Phillimore took it to contain a personal name Llugyrn identifying it with Llorcan Wyddel alias Gwyddelan, a saint dedicated to Gwyddelwern Merioneth and Llanwyddelan. ------

The church is now dedicated to Llugan, possibly a 'back-formation from Llanllugan, since there is no evidence of any saint with this name.

See book for further details

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment