The Royal Mint

The first Royal British Mint was founded in 886 by Alfred, King of England. From the end of the 13 G until 1810, the Tower of London was the home to the Royal Mint, before it was moved to Tower Hill. In 1968 it was relocated to Llantrisant, to a new purpose built building and in preparation for the switch to decimal money which was adopted in 1972. Coins are now produced to over 60 countries at the Llantrisant Mint, and they also produce official medals, seals and commemorative coins. The company is owned by HM Treasury, and in 2009 a £ 9million visitor centre was opened there.

There are 2 items in this collection