A Church without a Church

The Old Church building or Corporation Road Forward Movement as it was then known was built 1900 during the time of the 'Welsh Revival' which saw an upsurge in Church-goers. Church buildings were constructed quickly, however this building was built on virtually no foundations.
During the 1960s, the steel industry in Newport was booming - there were a vast number of lorries carrying shale to Llanwern steelworks travelling the length of Corporation Road. This may have contributed to foundations of the building to become unstable. A crack appeared in the ceiling of the Main Hall. A falling brick narrowly missed a member of the congregation.

There are 9 items in this collection

See also: