Barry Town Hall

Plans to build Barry Town Hall in a neo-Baroque style materialised in 1903, encompassing designs for a building roughly three times the size of the finished project in 1908, with funds from the Andrew Carnegie Trust. Previously shops and houses had occupied the site, though these were demolished to accomodate the project.

With a grand facade and a clock tower, the building quickly became a Barry landmark. The hall would originally home to Barry Urban District Council and library. Sitting at the head of King Square, which was orinally known as 'Council Square', the site is an important community space, for example, in marking events such as the end of the Second World War in 1945.

With the restoration of the building in the 2000s, and the the building of a new library to the rear of the hall, the site remains an important part of Barry to this day.

There are 16 items in this collection

  • 188
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 173
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 171
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 169
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 217
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 164
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 208
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 164
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 174
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 154
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 165
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 218
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 213
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 180
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 124
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save
  • 162
  • Use stars to collect & save items login to save