arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • The old church at Nantgwyllt, Elan Valley, c.1895

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

The tiny parish church at Nantgwyllt was one of the buildings lost to the huge Elan Valley waterworks scheme in the 1890s. The poet Shelley had worshipped here during his visits to the district in 1812. This photograph records part of the lost valley before it was flooded by the completion of Caban Coch dam. Temporary wooden huts used as site offices by the dambuilders lie beyond the trees.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment