arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • The bridge to the workers' village in the Elan Valley, c. 1900

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

Hundreds of construction workers were housed in a temporary community of wooden huts during the building of the dams and reservoirs in the Elan Valley. It was sited on the bank of the Elan River below the first of the dams at Caban coch. Rules for workers were strict and access to the village by the suspension bridge seen here was controlled by a guard. The workers huts are to the left of the bridge and the hospital lies to the right. The vital railway which carried building material to the distant sites is next to the road.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment