arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

This newspaper clipping from The Jewish Chronicle contains the obituary of Rev Chaim Goldman (1895–1981), who was once a minister and mohel at Tredegar. He also served other nearby communities, including Ebbw Vale and Brynmawr, earning the nickname the minister of the Valleys. Rev Goldman founded the Allerton Hebrew Congregation and spent most of his life serving the Merseyside Jewish community.

A Hebrew congregation was established in Tredegar in 1873. A year later the congregation received a piece of land as a gift, but having no funds to build a wall around the plot, the proposed cemetery was never established. A purpose-built synagogue was erected on Morgan Street in 1884 and it served the congregation until the mid-1940s when regular services in Tredegar ceased. The synagogue was sold in the 1950s and became a residential building.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/community/val1_tredegar/index.htm).

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment