arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

This newspaper article extract offers details on a re-erected Roll of Honour tablet from the First World War with the names of the serving members of the Aberavon and Port Talbot Hebrew Congregation. Published by the Jewish Chronicle, the article discusses the up-to-date location of the honour tablet - it is held in the vestibule of the Swansea Synagogue. Additionally, details are provided regarding the last minister of the Aberavon and Port Talbot Synagogue.

Not much is known about the early years of the Jewish congregations in Port Talbot and Aberavon. Jewish people are believed to have lived in Aberavon already in the 1860s, but it is unclear when a congregation was officially formed. It is known that following a split, possibly in the 1900s, there was a congregation that split into two as a result of a quarrel between members. This led in the creation of two separate Hebrew congregations in Aberavon and Port Talbot. Unable to continue on their own, they were reunited in 1913 as the Aberavon and Port Talbot Hebrew Congregation. A purpose-built synagogue was erected on Tŷdraw Place in 1921. It is believed to have closed in the 1950s.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/community/neath1/index.htm).

Depository: West Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment