arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

Programme for the musical event, 'Applause in the West End', a production created exclusively by the Applause Theatre Company, Cardiff, showcased on July 7th 2001. The programme features local advertisements, promoting hotels, dressmakers, banks, interior design, healthcare facilities, formal wear, restaurants, etc. The information relating to the musical addresses the producer and co-ordinators message, which details the amount raised for charities to date, and the decision to split the most recent accumulated funds between the Velindre Hospital and the Cystic Fibrosis Trust. Individual team profiles for the producer and choreographer/director are featured on a two page spread, followed by an additional two page display of the performance schedule. A cast and production team list has been included, as well as a final thank you message.

The Cardiff United Synagogue was established in 1942 when the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation and the Cardiff New Hebrew Congregation were united into a single organisation. The early years of the Cardiff congregation remain shrouded in mystery, but it is known that a Jewish cemetery was founded in 1841 and a purpose-built synagogue was built for the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation in 1858 in East Terrace. As the congregation outgrew the premises, a new synagogue was opened on Cathedral Road in 1897. In 1889, a group of recent immigrants left the “Englisher shul” to form the “foreigners’ shul” formally known as the Cardiff New Hebrew Congregation. Having initially worshipped at Edward Place and Clare Road, the New Congregation moved to purpose-built premises on Windsor Place in 1918. After the 1942 reunification, the Cardiff United Synagogue continued to use both the Windsor Place and the Cathedral Road synagogues until 1955 when the former was sold, and a new synagogue was built on Ty-Gwyn Road. The Cathedral Road synagogue was eventually sold in 1988 and the Ty-Gwyn Road synagogue in 2003 with the congregation moving to its current premises in Cyncoed Gardens.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card/index.htm).

Depository: Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment