arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

Programme for the musical event, 'Songs from the Shows', a production created exclusively by The Applause Theatre Company, Cardiff, showcased on July 12th 2000. The programme features information for St Anne's Hospice Support Services and a message from the president of St. Anne's Hospice Appeal. A welcome and a thank you message from the director of fundraising is also adjacent, with black and white photographs positioned underneath. An in depth matron's report has been included in the programme to impart an image of the hospice, complete with historical context of all the work that has been accomplished, and what they wish to secure in the future. Individual team profiles have been added, as well as a producer's message and a list of draw prize winners. On a two page spread, the cast and production team listing can be located, followed by the performance schedule. A detailed message from the Sister Provincial discusses the priorities of the sisters, noteworthy aspects of the past year, and varied contributions received. A donation form is offered for completion and return. Lastly, a poem written by a St Anne's Hospice volunteer for The Applause Theatre Company ends the programme. Local businesses have been promoted from the outset and throughout.

The Cardiff United Synagogue was established in 1942 when the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation and the Cardiff New Hebrew Congregation were united into a single organisation. The early years of the Cardiff congregation remain shrouded in mystery, but it is known that a Jewish cemetery was founded in 1841 and a purpose-built synagogue was built for the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation in 1858 in East Terrace. As the congregation outgrew the premises, a new synagogue was opened on Cathedral Road in 1897. In 1889, a group of recent immigrants left the “Englisher shul” to form the “foreigners’ shul” formally known as the Cardiff New Hebrew Congregation. Having initially worshipped at Edward Place and Clare Road, the New Congregation moved to purpose-built premises on Windsor Place in 1918. After the 1942 reunification, the Cardiff United Synagogue continued to use both the Windsor Place and the Cathedral Road synagogues until 1955 when the former was sold, and a new synagogue was built on Ty-Gwyn Road. The Cathedral Road synagogue was eventually sold in 1988 and the Ty-Gwyn Road synagogue in 2003 with the congregation moving to its current premises in Cyncoed Gardens.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card/index.htm).

Depository: Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment