arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

A letter to Mr Corne, Secretary of Cardiff New (Reform) Synagogue, from George Thomas, then MP for Cardiff Central, sent 30 June 1948. The letter is in reply to a previous letter sent on the 28th concerning the restriction of the sale of osher meat to members of Cardiff Reform Synagogue and member of the Cardiff Jewish Community. Mr Corne writes that he will be taking up the matter with the Minister of Food.

The letter is written on a House of Commons stationary and also has the House of Commons stamp embossed at the top.

The Cardiff Reform Synagogue was founded in 1948 as the Cardiff New Synagogue. The following year, it became a constituent member of the Movement for Reform Judaism. Born in reaction against the more restrictive traditions of the Orthodox Judaism of Cardiff Hebrew Congregation, such as the prohibition of driving on the Sabbath and the ban on interfaith marriages, the new Synagogue appealed to the immigrants who had fled the war-torn Europe, where the Reform movement was already well-established. The congregation worships in a converted Methodist Chapel on Moira Terrace they acquired in 1952.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card1/index.htm).

Depository: Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment