arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

A set of letters the Brynmawr Jewish Cemetery concerning two main subjects. The first is discussion on the usage of external groups using the site for burial and the second is the Prayer Hall. Letter content summary:

J. Goldstein from the Wlodowa Charity Trust & Benevolent Fund to Anthony Morris. Concerning the use of Brynmawr Jewish Burial Grounds and a note on the Prayer hall needing repairs.

G.N Robinson, of Fooks & Co chartered accountants, to Anthony Morris. Charity wants use of land for occasional burial. Suggested fee charge of £5 per burial.

Eric C. Evans Town clerk of the Borough of Blaenau Gwent to Chesam &Co. Solicitors. Enquiring for information on the Prayer Hall to clear confusion on the Burial Boards’ intentions to demolish or restore it.

Eric C. Evans Town clerk of the Borough of Blaenau Gwent to Anthony Morris. Further enquiries to the Prayer Hall and it’s now “dangerous condition”.

G.N Robinson, Binder Hamlyn Cartered Accountants to Anthony Morris. Explaining the plans for the Prayer Hall to be rebuilt in the form of a covered shelter.

Brynmawr Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1889 and the opening of the Brynmawr Synagogue took place in June 1901. The trustees were Barnett Isaacs, pawnbroker; Isaac Isaacs, pawnbroker; Isaac Brest, house furnisher; and Isaac Goldfoot, draper. In 1920, they opened in the Brynmawr Jewish Cemetery.

Sources:
'The Jewish Community of Brynmawr, Wales’ - Jewish Journal of Sociology jewishjournalofsociology.org/index.php/jjs/article/download/15/16

'Brynmawr Hebrew Congregation'
https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/val1_brynmawr/index.htm

Depository:
Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment