arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Description

Minutes of a meeting of Brynmawr Hebrew Congregation, Brynmawr, 23 September 1923 (included in Brynmawr Hebrew Congregation Memorandum of Meetings Book 1905-1953). The minutes deal with various administrative matters, including the election of Reverend Getzel Bloch as shochet and teacher.

The Brynmawr Hebrew Congregation was formed in 1888. Initially, services were held at the home of the then President of the congregation, Barnett Isaacs, and then later in Brynmawr Town Hall. The congregation solicited funds to build their own synagogue, which was eventually built on Bailey Street and opened in 1901. A Burial Ground was acquired by the congregation in 1919 thanks to a donation by Abel Myers of Abersychan and the plot was consecrated in Brynmawr's municipal cemetery in August 1920.

By the early 1960s the Brynmawr Hebrew Congregation had decreased to such an extent that the community was forced to stop religious services in 1963. From then onwards the small number of Jews living in Brynmawr joined the Newport Hebrew Congregation, and the synagogue in Bailey Street was eventually sold in 1966.

Sources:
Parry-Jones, Cai, 'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
Pollins, Harold, 'The Jewish Community of Brynmawr, Wales', The Jewish Journal of Sociology, L, 1-2 (2008): jewishjournalofsociology.org/index.php/jjs/article/download/15/16.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment