arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

These letters concern the initial discussions around Mr David Morris’s suggestion whether Brynmawr Council could maintain the Brynmawr Jewish Cemetery if they were to purchase some of the land adjoining to it. There is information on the history of the cemetery and attached to one letter is a plan of the Brynmawr Jewish Cemetery and the surrounding areas.

The first letter is sent from Mr O. Hayden Richards, Gwent Town Clerk to Mr David Morris concerning the Brynmawr Jewish Cemetery and discusses the documents and information the council will need to help make their decision. Such as annual maintenance costs, details of the land and a plan of the land that shows the boundaries and conditions of the cemetery.

In another letter, Anthony Morris sends his father the cemetery deeds and various other documents such as the Conveyance, the Declaration of Trust, appointment of new Trustees by the Charity Commissioner and the Deed of Grant which are not included in this collection.

All letters are dated throughout September 1978 and are written between David Morris, O. Hayden Richards, Anthony Morris. There is no name at the bottom of the one of the letters, but we can assume this was written by Anthony Morris as the letter opens with "Dear Father" and was addressed to David Morris.

Brynmawr Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1889 and the opening of the Brynmawr Synagogue took place in June 1901. The trustees were Barnett Isaacs, pawnbroker; Isaac Isaacs, pawnbroker; Isaac Brest, house furnisher; and Isaac Goldfoot, draper. In 1920, they opened in the Brynmawr Jewish Cemetery. Abel Myers of Abersychan paid for the land purchased from the Brynmawr Urban District Council and conveyed by a document of 23 October 1919 to five men: Abel Myers, pawnbroker, of Abersychan; Jacob Morris, jeweller, of Brynmawr; Isaac Brest, furniture dealer, of Brynmawr; Joel Ballin, draper, of Brynmawr; and Jacob Myers, clothier, of Nantyglo. The land measured 2 acres, 3 roods, and 3 perches, and the cost was £206.

Sources:
'The Jewish Community of Brynmawr, Wales’ - Jewish Journal of Sociology: jewishjournalofsociology.org/index.php/jjs/article/download/15/16;
'Brynmawr Hebrew Congregation': https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/val1_brynmawr/index.htm.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment