arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Correspondence relating to Mr Merrick, the argicultural tenant of land adjoiningg the Brynmawr Jewish Cemetery, 1979/1981

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1
Image 2:Download link to the full resolution of image number 2
full resolution of image 2
Image 3:Download link to the full resolution of image number 3
full resolution of image 3
Image 4:Download link to the full resolution of image number 4
full resolution of image 4
Image 5:Download link to the full resolution of image number 5
full resolution of image 5
Image 6:Download link to the full resolution of image number 6
full resolution of image 6
Image 7:Download link to the full resolution of image number 7
full resolution of image 7
Image 8:Download link to the full resolution of image number 8
full resolution of image 8
Image 9:Download link to the full resolution of image number 9
full resolution of image 9
Image 10:Download link to the full resolution of image number 10
full resolution of image 10
Image 11:Download link to the full resolution of image number 11
full resolution of image 11
Image 12:Download link to the full resolution of image number 12
full resolution of image 12
Image 13:Download link to the full resolution of image number 13
full resolution of image 13
Image 14:Download link to the full resolution of image number 14
full resolution of image 14
Image 15:Download link to the full resolution of image number 15
full resolution of image 15
Image 16:Download link to the full resolution of image number 16
full resolution of image 16
Image 17:Download link to the full resolution of image number 17
full resolution of image 17
Image 18:Download link to the full resolution of image number 18
full resolution of image 18
Image 19:Download link to the full resolution of image number 19
full resolution of image 19
Image 20:Download link to the full resolution of image number 20
full resolution of image 20
Image 21:Download link to the full resolution of image number 21
full resolution of image 21
Image 22:Download link to the full resolution of image number 22
full resolution of image 22
Image 23:Download link to the full resolution of image number 23
full resolution of image 23

Description

These letters concern the tenancy of Mr Merrick.

Mr Merrick was the agricultural tenant of the land adjoining the Brynmawr Jewish Cemetery and these letters concern the end of this tenancy. The contents of the letters include the history of rent payments by Mr Merrick and his father, the notice to quit served by The Brynmawr & District Jewish Burial Board, his counter-notice and the Agricultural Land Tribunal. The letters also include photocopies of three receipts which have not been digitised.

Other topics include Joel Lyons's retirement, the sale of the land to the Council and a note on why the Council need the land, as they were said to have been digging graves at the bottom of their own cemetery which had begun to fill up with water during the winter.

The letters in this collection are dated between 7 September 1979 to 15 July 1981 and are written and sent by Anthony Morris, Mr Merrick, Gerald Robinson, Joel Lyons, Digby Turner and Company, and O. Haydn Richards, the Gwent Town Clerk. Although many letters do not have names at the bottom of them, from the contents of previous letters it can be assumed that they are written by Anthony Morris.

Brynmawr Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1889 and the opening of the Brynmawr Synagogue took place in June 1901. The trustees were Barnett Isaacs, pawnbroker; Isaac Isaacs, pawnbroker; Isaac Brest, house furnisher; and Isaac Goldfoot, draper. In 1920, they opened in the Brynmawr Jewish Cemetery. Abel Myers of Abersychan paid for the land purchased from the Brynmawr Urban District Council and conveyed by a document of 23 October 1919 to five men: Abel Myers, pawnbroker, of Abersychan; Jacob Morris, jeweller, of Brynmawr; Isaac Brest, furniture dealer, of Brynmawr; Joel Ballin, draper, of Brynmawr; and Jacob Myers, clothier, of Nantyglo. The land measured 2 acres, 3 roods, and 3 perches, and the cost was £206.

Sources:
'The Jewish Community of Brynmawr, Wales' - Jewish Journal of Sociology: jewishjournalofsociology.org/index.php/jjs/article/download/15/16;
'Brynmawr Hebrew Congregation': https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/val1_brynmawr/index.htm.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment