arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

Accounts for the Cardiff New Synagogue Ladies' Guild Annual Garden Party, held in Cardiff in 1984. The accounts are dated 22 February 1985 and refer to income (for example, from advertising brochure and ticket sales and the different stalls at the party) and expenditure (for example, on marquee hire, printing and ice cream) and show an overall profit of £3,343.70. The accounts also indicate the income received for each item during the 1983 garden party.

The Cardiff New Synagogue Ladies’ Guild, a women-only volunteer group, was established in 1950. The ladies of the Guild organised religious, fund raising and social activities for the Synagogue – from the annual garden parties, to the food of festivals and to talks held in members’ homes, as well as acts of tzedakah (justice or charity) and community welfare. The Ladies' Guild ceased to exist in 1986. In its place, a new guild formed that was open to both men and women, which focussed more on fundraising for the Synagogue.

The Cardiff Reform Synagogue was founded in 1948 as the Cardiff New Synagogue. The following year, it became a constituent member of the Movement for Reform Judaism. Born in reaction against the more restrictive traditions of the Orthodox Judaism of Cardiff Hebrew Congregation, such as the prohibition of driving on the Sabbath and the ban on interfaith marriages, the new Synagogue appealed to immigrants who had fled war-torn Europe, where the Reform movement was already well-established. The congregation worships in a converted Methodist Chapel on Moira Terrace, acquired in 1952.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card1/index.htm).

Depository: Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment