arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Minutes of the annual general meeting of the Cardiff New Synagogue Ladies' Guild 10 April 1978, Cardiff

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1
Image 2:Download link to the full resolution of image number 2
full resolution of image 2
Image 3:Download link to the full resolution of image number 3
full resolution of image 3
Image 4:Download link to the full resolution of image number 4
full resolution of image 4

Description

Minutes of the annual general meeting of the Cardiff New Synagogue Ladies' Guild held on 10 April 1978 in Cardiff. The minutes include a Chairman's Report for the previous year, including a summary of the Guild's successful charitable events (such as the Silver Jubilee garden party, the treasure hunt, and the annual supper dance), the trip to Stratford to see Henry V and talks "covering a wide spectrum", the arrangements for the Chanukah and Purim Parties, the Communal Seder and Succot celebrations and the Guild's representation at the Association for Women's Guild meetings in London. The report also notes a "small increase in members this year". The minutes set out the election of officers and also include a Treasurer's report, covering matters such as the Guild's donations to the Synagogue and to charity. The minutes are included in a Cardiff New Synagogue Ladies' Guild Minute Book, 1972-1979.

The Cardiff New Synagogue Ladies' Guild, a women-only volunteer group, was established in 1950. The ladies of the Guild organised religious, fund raising and social activities for the Synagogue - from the annual garden parties, to the food of festivals and to talks held in members' homes, as well as acts of tzedakah (justice or charity) and community welfare. The Ladies' Guild ceased to exist in 1986. In its place, a new guild formed that was open to both men and women, which focussed more on fundraising for the Synagogue.

The Cardiff Reform Synagogue was founded in 1948 as the Cardiff New Synagogue. The following year, it became a constituent member of the Movement for Reform Judaism. Born in reaction against the more restrictive traditions of the Orthodox Judaism of Cardiff Hebrew Congregation, such as the prohibition of driving on the Sabbath and the ban on interfaith marriages, the new Synagogue appealed to immigrants who had fled war-torn Europe, where the Reform movement was already well-established. The congregation worships in a converted Methodist Chapel on Moira Terrace, acquired in 1952.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card1/index.htm).

Depository: Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment