arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

The first letter is dated 26 May 1974 and is a resignation letter from Reverend Reuben Fisher as Minister-Reader of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation. He writes that he will terminate his services as Minister of the Newport congregation in August 1974. He thanks the council, the honorary officers and congregation for their support over the past 10 years.

The second letter dated 11 June 1974 and is written by E. E. Nathan the President of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation and is addressed to Whom It May Concern. It is regarding Reverend Reuben Fisher's resignation. He writes of Reverend Fisher's enthusiasm for the congregation and how liked he was by the members.

The third letter is a copy of a letter sent to members of the Newport Mon. Hebrew Congregation regarding the Rev. Fisher's resignation. The letter contains information about gifts to be given to the Reverend and his family at a Cocktail evening to be held in their honour on 29 July 1974. There is a slip at the bottom for members to fill out a donation towards the gifts.

The fourth letter dated 30 July 1974 is from Reverend Fisher to E. E. Nathan thanking the congregation for the wishes, cheque and gifts received at the reception.

Reverend Reuben Fisher served the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation from 1964 until 1974 when he emigrated to Australia.

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to their Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen’s Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to their Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

Sources:
“History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW;
Information about Reuben Fisher has come from letters written by himself and by members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation between 1964 to 1974.

Depository: Gwent Archives.



Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment