arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

The set of documents are regarding the extension to the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation's Synagogue at Risca Road, Newport.

The first document is a letter from John Worwood at C.P. Construction (Gwent) Ltd. to Mr A. Davidson following a meeting they had regarding the proposed extension to Newport Synagogue, Risca Road, Newport. It outlines the cost of and the work that they have agreed to carry out.

The second document is by the Newport Mon. Hebrew Congregation and contains information about the construction of the extension to the Newport Synagogue.

The third document is a planning map showing drawings of proposed windows, a door and another window.

The fourth document is a drawing of the synagogue and is labelled "Layout as Proposed." It shows the synagogue, lobby and washroom with notes and measurements.

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to their Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen’s Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to their Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

Sources:
“History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment