Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


This document is for an Extraordinary Meeting held by the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation at the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall on 26 November with Harry Joseph as Chair. The report includes that the meeting was held in memory of Mrs Anne Joseph and congratulations was given to Avram Davidson for becoming a grandfather. It includes that the balance sheet was passed along and discussed and that a visit to the Bank would take place by the Officers. It was decided that the annual contribution to the Board of Deputies Communal Levy would be increased. It was discussed that there had been criticism from the congregation about the attendance of people who were not of the Jewish faith at services. Details of when attendance would be allowed are detailed.

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to their Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen's Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to their Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

"History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment