Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


This undated newspaper clipping reports on the death of Peter Fligelstone (also spelled Fliglestone), likely to be in 1993 or 1994. The article records Peter Fligelstone's "devoted service" to the Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation, noting that he was three times President for the congregation. He also helped to conduct Shabbat and festival services, was active in chevrah kadisha and acted as the congregation's registrar. The article also mentions Peter Fligelstone's involvement in Newport's civic life and refers to his brother, Henry Fligelstone and his wife, June Fligelstone.

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen's Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to the Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

"History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment