arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

This article reports on the induction of David Braunold, carried out by Rabbi Cofnas, at Queen's Hill Crescent synagogue on 15 June 1975. It is reported that Reverend Braunold is only the third Jewish minister to be appointed in Newport since 1910. The article refers to the dwindling Jewish congregation in the area and its difficulty in meeting the quorum required for services. It quotes Harry Goodman, synagogue secretary, as saying "the old members are dying and the young ones are moving away, either to other cities or to Israel". The article also includes quotes from the synagogue's president, "Eese" Nathan, about the difficulties in maintaining certain orthodox rules in an "age of emancipation".

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen’s Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to the Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

Sources:
“History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation, recorded in 2018 by JHASW.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment