arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

One page extract from the Newport Synagogue Cemetery Book, dated 1899 and signed by Reverend S. Fyne. The extract describes the location of the Jewish burial ground on Risca Road, Newport and explains that the land was a gift to the Newport Mon Hebrew Congregation from Sir Charles Morgan, the late Lord Tredegar. The extract records that the burial ground was opened in 1859 and that the walls and Mortuary Hall were funded by donations from the President, Mr Abraham Isaacs, and others. Reverend Fyne also notes in the extract that due to "serious and impardonable Communal negligence", the cemetery has about 70 unmarked graves (mostly children).

Newport Monmouthshire Hebrew Congregation was founded in 1859 by orthodox Jews meeting at a temporary synagogue in Llanarth Street. A synagogue at Francis Street was opened in 1869 and consecrated by the Chief Rabbi Dr Herman Adler in 1871. In 1934 the congregation moved to the Nathan Harris Memorial Hall in Queen’s Hill which was converted to a synagogue. In 1997 this synagogue was closed, and the congregation moved to the Prayer House by the Jewish Burial Ground on Risca Road. Within 20 years the congregation had dwindled to a few members able to attend and this too had ceased to hold services.

Sources:
“History of our Shul. The First Hundred Years", published by Newport Congregation in 1959;
Oral history interviews with members of the Newport Mon Hebrew;
Newspaper clipping, presumably from the South Wales Argus, hand dated 15 June 1975.

Depository: Gwent Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment