arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

Black and white photograph of members and clergy of Cardiff's Jewish community; identified: Abe Schwartz, J. E. Rivlin, the Reverend Harris Jerevitch, the Reverend Gershon Grey, M. J. Cohen, the Rabbi of Newport (name unknown), the Reverend Harris Hamburg, Alter Rivlin, Rabbi Grunis. The photographer was S. Edelmonn and the photograph is dated 1932.

Rev. Jerevitch was born in Russia in 1886. He was appointed minister and head teacher of the Cathedral Road synagogue in 1908, and served the community until his retirement in 1953.

The Cardiff United Synagogue was established in 1942 when the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation and the Cardiff New Hebrew Congregation were united into a single organisation. The early years of the Cardiff congregation remain shrouded in mystery, but it is known that a Jewish cemetery was founded in 1841 and a purpose-built synagogue was built for the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation in 1858 in East Terrace. As the congregation outgrew the premises, a new synagogue was opened on Cathedral Road in 1897. In 1889, a group of recent immigrants left the "Englisher shul" to form the "foreigners' shul" formally known as the Cardiff New Hebrew Congregation. Having initially worshipped at Edward Place and Clare Road, the New Congregation moved to purpose-built premises on Windsor Place in 1918. After the 1942 reunification, the Cardiff United Synagogue continued to use both the Windsor Place and the Cathedral Road synagogues until 1955 when the former was sold, and a new synagogue was built on Ty-Gwyn Road. The Cathedral Road synagogue was eventually sold in 1988 and the Ty-Gwyn Road synagogue in 2003 with the congregation moving to its current premises in Cyncoed Gardens.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
https://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/jewish-historians-in-wales-get-40k-national-lottery-boost-for-heritage-project/;
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card/index.htm).

Depository: Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment