arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

An advertisement for the W. & J. Bogod & Co, Ltd sewing machine parts business. The advertisement was reproduced from 'The Journal of Domestic Appliances Sewing and Washing Machines and Pram Gazette', 1 January 1930.

The company was founded in 1895 by Joseph and William Bogod to supply the then growing UK textile industry, the company later diversified into household sewing machines and kitchen appliances.

The Bogod family was amongst the founding members of the Cardiff Reform Synagogue, which was established in 1948 as the Cardiff New Synagogue. The following year, it became a constituent member of the Movement for Reform Judaism. Born in reaction against the more restrictive traditions of the Orthodox Judaism of Cardiff Hebrew Congregation, such as the prohibition of driving on the Sabbath and the ban on interfaith marriages, the new Synagogue appealed to the immigrants who had fled the war-torn Europe, where the Reform movement was already well-established. The congregation worships in a converted Methodist Chapel on Moira Terrace they acquired in 1952.

Sources:
Wales Online (https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/bogod-seeks-to-expand-2488049).
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card1/index.htm).

Depository: Glamorgan Archives

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment