arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

A letter addressed to Max Corne of Cardiff New Synagogue from the Superintendent and Registrar of the Cemeteries Department, J. A. Fox, regarding the sale of a plot for the Jewish Community in the Western Cemetery. The letter includes a plan of the plot that Max Corne had inspected, along with the prices of the plot.

The Cardiff Reform Synagogue was founded in 1948 as the Cardiff New Synagogue, following the establishment of the Synagogue, it was necessary to find land for their own cemetery. The following year, it became a constituent member of the Movement for Reform Judaism. Born in reaction against the more restrictive traditions of the Orthodox Judaism of Cardiff Hebrew Congregation, such as the prohibition of driving on the Sabbath and the ban on interfaith marriages, the new Synagogue appealed to the immigrants who had fled the war-torn Europe, where the Reform movement was already well-established. The congregation worships in a converted Methodist Chapel on Moira Terrace they acquired in 1952.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card1/index.htm).

Depository: Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment