arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

A publication issued for the Annual General Meeting of the Cardiff New Synagogue, which took place on 4 March 1956. The document refers to the year 1955 and includes the agenda for AGM, list of synagogue officers in 1955, council attendances in the previous year, treasurer’s report, revenue account for the year ended 31 December 1955 and balance sheet as of 31 December 1955, warden’s report, report from the Minister, Rabbi Graf, and Ladies’ Guild report. The document is erroneously dated 16 February 1955 when it should be 1956.

The Cardiff Reform Synagogue was founded in 1948 as the Cardiff New Synagogue. The following year, it became a constituent member of the Movement for Reform Judaism. Born in reaction against the more restrictive traditions of the Orthodox Judaism of Cardiff Hebrew Congregation, such as the prohibition of driving on the Sabbath and the ban on interfaith marriages, the new Synagogue appealed to the immigrants who had fled the war-torn Europe, where the Reform movement was already well-established. The congregation worships in a converted Methodist Chapel on Moira Terrace they acquired in 1952.

Sources:
'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987);
JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card1/index.htm).

Depository: Glamorgan Archives.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment