arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

Visitors to the town at the time of the publication of 'Borough Guide' by the Town Council and Edward J Burrows Co is not the same as present at the site today. The original Aberystwyth clock tower was built in 1858 to mark the spot of the Guildhall (built 1770 and demolished in 1855). The 62 ft (18.8m) tower was erected by local builder Mr Rodderick Williams & Son, and the majority of the structure was built with welsh stone from a local quarry, which was owned by Roderick Williams. The clock tower was then dressed in Bath stone, a kind of limestone which was supplied by Randall and Saunders of Bath in Somerset. The building of the clock itself was funded by public subscription and cost £1,250. However in 1956, the top of the clock tower was declared to be unsafe, and as such the clock tower was taken down. The clock tower that we see today was built to celebrate the millennium.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment