arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

The street plan included in the 'Aberystwyth Official Guide and Souvenir' published by the Aberystwyth Corporation in 1924 shows a garage at this location. The Marine Hotel advertises that it has a garage for its guests.

Advert for garage services in the town include the Aberystwyth Motor Co in Queen's Road and The West Wales Garages Ltd on North Parade - the latter stating that it is open day and night, has up-to-date engineering plant for repairs of all motor vehicles and large stocks of accessories. This company also claimed provision of private lock-ups and accommodation for 100 cars. The company also advertised cars for hire and 14-seat pneumatic-typed motors running to all parts daily.

The guide notes that the town had well-established motor charabancs for tours to places of interest and beauty. Motor and other charabancs would assemble on the Promenade in the morning and afternoon for circular tours to Devil's Bridge returning through Ponterwyd; to Birmingham Water Works in the Ellan Valley; to Corris and Talyllyn Lake returning via the eastern side of Cader Idris and Dolgellau; to Aberaeron and New Quay along the coast road; to Llyfnant an Artist's Valley; and to the base of Plynlymon at Eisteddfa Gurig.

Two other companies offered these services - Jones Bothers, pioneers in the motor charabanc trade, also giving their address as 58 Terrace Road or the garage, North Parade. Readers were instructed to look out for the Great Cars leaving marine parade daily at 9-30am and at 2.15pm. The other company was Primrose Motor Co or 62 Terrace Road and 11 Chalybeate Street. They promoted new, up-to-date, de-luxe 14-seater charabancs leaving marine parade at 10am and 2.15pm daily.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment