arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

The map included in the 'Aberystwyth Official Guide and Souvenir' published by Aberystwyth Corporation in 1924, places the National Provincial Bank on this corner. A advert in the guide notes that the head office was in Bishopsgate and that the ban had over 1,100 officer in England and Wales. This bank building was built in 1903 by W W Gwyther of London. The façade features a shield with 'NPB'. The National Provincial Bank played an important role in the establishment of commercial banking system that we have today in England and Wales. It operated from 1833 until 1970 when it was merged into the National Westminster Bank. It was created specifically to carry out its business through branches outside London and for a larger number of smaller accounts. The building is now Grade II listed.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment