arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

The 'Aberystwyth Official Guide and Souvenir' published by Aberystwyth Corporation in 1924 contains an advert for the Queen Hotel on its first page. The hotel was owned at that time by the Cambrian Coast Hotels Co Limited and had an AA (Automobile Association) recommendation. The advert highlights the Oak Room, seating 160 for dainty teas and luncheons. The availability of the electric lift proving access to all floors was also promoted along with a garage for 60 cars. The name of the manager was W H Jervis. The Queens hotel was once one of the largest and most impressive hotels in the region. It opened on 1st May 1866, soon after the coming of the railway to the town and was built for the Hafod Hotel Company by George Lumley of Aberystwyth. It had at least 83 bedrooms, The Hafod Hotel Company went bankrupt in November 1866 and the Hotel was purchased by the Mid-Wales Hotel Company. It was taken over by W H Palmer in 1876/7. It was used by the University for art classes and as a college hostel from 1892. In January 1914, it was purchased by the Cambrian Railway Company and improved (central heating added) in 1915. During the Second World War it was used by the RAF and used as a maternity hospital. In 1951, it became the offices for Cardiganshire County Council and a police station. More recently it has featured as the police station in popular TV crime series 'Hinterland'.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment