arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

The 'Aberystwyth Official Guide and Souvenir' published by the Aberystwyth Corporation in 1924 includes an advert and photograph of the hotel. At that time, the hotel was AA appointed and the advert states that it had been refurnished and redecorated throughout with electric light, and has first-class cuisine and moderate tariffs. The hotel also had private salmon and fishing within easy reach of Aberystwyth. The proprietor was E G Wood.
In 1938, the building was remodelled as a tailors store for Burtons. The façade features the characteristic Art Deco house style for their stores. Around 1932, the company had established its own architectural department, converting and/or building new stores to an architectural design established by Henry Wilson. Foundation stones are visible in Terrace Road inscribed with the date and the names of Raymond Montague Burton and Arnold James Burton. The building is now Grade II listed.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment