arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

The 'Borough Guide' published by the Town Council and Edward J Burrows Co notes that the coming of the coming of the railway was the most important event in the recent history of the town. The station was opened on 1 August 1864 as the terminus for the Aberystwyth & Welsh Coast Railway, later part of the Cambrian Railways. From 12 August 1867, the Manchester & Milford Railway from Pencader Junction also used the station. By 1872 the station consisted of two main platforms for the Cambrian line and a separate two-platformed bay for Manchester and Milford trains. Substantial alterations were made in 1893-4 and it would have been the station where the 'Borough Guide' visitors arrived. The present passenger facilities occupy some of the 1872 buildings, including the ticket office range which was originally two railway houses, one for the Signalman, the other for the Stationmaster, backed by the platform and canopy of 1894. Much of the grand station frontage that is seen today (including the parts that are now a restaurant) where added in 1924-5 to a classical deign by architects Harris and Sheppard.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment