arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

The map accompanying the 'Borough' guide published by the Town Council and Edward J Burrows Co around 1905 depicts a school at this location. A tablet inside the school commemorates its building in 1872-4 to a design by architects Szlumper & Aldwinkle by Thomas Davies, builder, as a result of Forster's Education Act of 1870. The act was the first of several between 1870 and 1893 which established compulsory education for children between 5 and 13. It established local education boards responsible for inspecting schools and the spending of public money on education. This school is believed to be the first built at the behest of a local education 'Board' and provided non-denominational education for non-conformists. Additions were made to the building in the 1910, although no longer a school, it is a Grade II listed building in the process of being converted to businesses and shops.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment