arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

The map accompanying the 'Borough' guide published by the Town Council and Edward J Burrows Co around 1905 notes a market hall at this location. The building was the Corn Market or Exchange built in 1832. Sources suggest that the original building held a weekly wheat market and also a library.
The 'Aberystwyth Official Guide and Souvenir' published by Aberystwyth Corporation in 1924 notes both the Cornmarket and the Cinema on the corner of Little Darkgate Street and Market Street. An advert promotes the cinema as 'The House of Distinction' - the first picture house in Aberystwyth (established 1910), altered, re-seated and re-organised in 1923. The cinema claimed to be the last word in comfort and beauty, with perfect ventilation, faultless projections, brilliant music and high-class programmes. The present building on site is a modern.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment