arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Photoscoot 2020: Smithfield, Aberystwyth

  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

The 'Borough' guide published by the Town Council and Edward J Burrows Co around 1905 shows a very different road layout to present day - with only the terraces of Glyndwr Road and Smithfield Road (now Park Avenue) terminated by the Manchester and Milford Railway. The map accompanying the 'Aberystwyth Official Guide and Souvenir' places a station at near this location for the Vale of Rheidol Railway. Earlier still, OS 1st edition mapping places a tannery here (with the slaughter house being on the same side of the road as the new retail park). The Burrows published guide contains an advert for the Central Foundry and Engineering Works which includes a photograph (pg4). The size and shape of gable end of the building on the right possibly corresponds to building show to the right of a pair stone gate pillars.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment