arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

The 'Borough' guide published by the Town Council and Edward J Burrows Co notes that 'croquet and tennis grounds will be found at the rear of the Town Hall (Queen's Square) and close to the railway station', meaning Plas Crug. Aberystwyth Official Guide and Souvenir' published by Aberystwyth Corporation in 1924 contains more details - 'Eleven first-class hard tennis courts, laid by the 'En Tout Cas Co', were opened at Easter in 1923. There is a fine pavilion. including a large tea room and ladies and gentlemen's rooms, with shower baths.' The name of the En Tout Cas Co' comes from the French 'in all conditons'. The company was founded in 1909 and continues today providing all-weather sports surfaces. The official guide also notes that daily, weekly, fortnightly and monthly tickets could be obtained from the club house. By 1924, it appears that the playing of croquet had moved to the University College Wales Athletic Grounds in Llanbadarn Road (on application to the groundsmen), and the playing of bowls had been moved to two full-sized greens in Plas Crug where daily, weekly, monthly and season tickets could be obtained. The Aberystwyth Bowling Green Co Ltd advertised in the guide The Rendezvous for afternoon teas. It also advertised that the 'two grand bowling weeks, 1-4 July and 12-15 August'. The present pavilion at Queens Road is believed to date to circa 1935.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment