arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

Gwyddelwern is a small village and community of approximately 500 residents situated about 2 miles north from Corwen.
The village was once part of the Edeynrion district of Merionethshire and became part of the Glyndwr district of Clwyd from 1974 until 1996. In 1996, with the changes in counties, Gwyddelwern fell into the Denbighshire Area. The outlook to the west is dominated by Mynydd-Rhyd-Ddu and Bryn Gwenallt and to the south the view extends over the Dee Valley and the Berwyn Mountains.

The name Gwyddelwern comes from Gwyddeli meaning thickets and wern meaning a damp or swampy area arising from the surrounding hills, so alder marsh in the thickets. Though it is sometimes translated as The Irishman’s Alder Grove.

In 1400, the “Lordship of Gwyddelwern” was held by Tudur ap Gruffydd Fychan II (c.1365-01 March 1405) who was the younger brother of Owain Glyndwr. It was a relatively minor title within the House of Powys Fadog. Tudur was killed during the Welsh uprising fighting with his brother and the title became dormant.

In the 1550s Gwyddelwern was absorbed into the neighbouring Parish of Llanaelhaiarn (Llanealhearn). Llanaelhaiarb was named after its founder and patron saint Aelhaiarn, who visited the region in the early 7th Century with his master Saint Beuno. The Church is named after St Beuno.

Gwyddelwern’s most visible historical building is the Church of St Beuno whose spire is visible from all angles of the village. The Spire on the Church was repaired in the late 1800s by the owners of the Rhug Estate with the intention that it could be seen from the Hall. The churchyard is circular and an indication of the age of the site, possible to pre-Christian times.

Postcard of St Beuno’s Church, Gwyddelwern from Amgueddfa Corwen Museum Collection. Posted March 31st 1905 to a Miss Mabel in Yorkshire. Handwriting on the postcard a little hard to read. There are two postage marks – Gwyddelwern and Corwen. There is no author on the postcard and no actual date for the photograph.


Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment