arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Photoscoot 2020: Ashley's Coliseum Cafe and Restuarant, The Arcade, Bath Street entrance

  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

The 'Aberystwyth Official Guide and Souvenir' published by Aberystwyth Corporation in 1924 contains an advert for Ashley's. The café was open daily from 6.30am to 11pm and from 6.30am to 9.30pm on Sundays. The cafe's specialities were early morning tea and coffee and late fish suppers. Visitors to the beach were well catered for at Ashley's famous ice cream and refreshment kiosk, open daily from 6am to 9pm. Tea and coffee was served to bathers from 6am. Boots the Chemist also had premises in the arcade. The Arcade had matching entrances to the east and west. These remains with sculptures of King George V at the pinnacle. The Arcade was completed in 1905, along with the Coliseum Theatre to replace the entertainment hall, known as Phillips' Hall, which burnt down in 1902. Phillips took the opportunity to rebuild and his name is commemorated in mosaic panels at the entrances to the building.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment