arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

William Jones (1840 – 1918) was born in Bodwrog, Anglesey and was apprenticed as a joiner. In 1860 he left home to find work in Liverpool. A year later, after finding success in the city, he purchased Bootle Hall, which he demolished and built new houses on the land. He continued with this approach and soon became a wealthy man. His children were all born in Liverpool but Welsh was their first language. He named his streets after family members and Welsh places, for example, Eleanor Road, Monfa Road and Menai Road.

Jones also became active in the politics of the city, and in 1886 was elected Mayor of Bootle. His main residence was a house called Monfa in Bootle, but in 1889 he purchased Llwydiarth Fawr near Llannerch-y-medd, a small estate located in around 300 acres of farmland. The land proved to be clayey and poor for farming, so he took advantage of this and utilised the clay for making bricks. Most of the produce from his small brickworks were exported by train to Liverpool, to supply the city’s thriving house building industry. He also produced ceramic pipes for land drainage, together with everyday items, including flower pots. This rare surviving example (measuring 15.2cm in height), was donated to Oriel Môn’s collection by Mair and Roland Williams in 2014.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment