Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Description

This booklet, entitled ‘Grace after meals’ was produced by the Cardiff United Synagogue for the reception of the delegates to the Conference of Inter-University Jewish Students. The event took place at the Synagogue Hall, Windsor Place, in Cardiff, on 24 December 1949 in the evening.

The event included music by the Cardiff Jewish Youth Group Orchestra; the catering was provided by the Cardiff United Synagogue Ladies’ Guild.

The booklet was sponsored by Julius Skrek of J. Skrek & Co., Ltd, Kosher Meat Supplies.

About the Cardiff United Synagogue.

The Cardiff United Synagogue was established in 1942 when the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation and the Cardiff New Hebrew Congregation were united into a single organisation. The early years of the Cardiff congregation remain shrouded in mystery, but it is known that a Jewish cemetery was founded in 1841 and a purpose-built synagogue was built for the Cardiff Hebrew Congregation in 1858 in East Terrace. As the congregation outgrew the premises, a new synagogue was opened on Cathedral Road in 1897. In 1889, a group of recent immigrants left the “Englisher shul” to form the “foreigners’ shul” formally known as the Cardiff New Hebrew Congregation. Having initially worshipped at Edward Place and Clare Road, the New Congregation moved to purpose-built premises on Windsor Place in 1918. After the 1942 reunification, the Cardiff United Synagogue continued to use both the Windsor Place and the Cathedral Road synagogues until 1955 when the former was sold, and a new synagogue was built on Ty-Gwyn Road in Penylan. The Cathedral Road synagogue was eventually sold in 1988 and the Ty-Gwyn Road synagogue in 2003 with the congregation moving to its current premises in Cyncoed Gardens.

Note:
A Wetherspoon pub stands today where the Windsor Place Synagogue used to be.

Sources.
- 'The History of the Jewish Diaspora in Wales' by Cai Parry-Jones (http://e.bangor.ac.uk/4987).
- JCR-UK/JewishGen (https://www.jewishgen.org/jcr-uk/Community/card/index.htm).

Acknowledgement: copy of the booklet kindly provided by Roma Brooks.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment