arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Black and white photograph of Chief Rabbi Israel Brodie laying the foundation stone of the Ffynone Synagogue, Swansea, October 1952

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

A black and white photograph of Chief Rabbi Israel Brodie laying the foundation stone of the Ffynone Synagogue on October 1952. The Ffynone Synagogue was built to replace Goat Street Synagogue which was destroyed during the ‘Three Nights’ Blitz’ of Swansea that took place from 19 to 21 February 1941. While other religious buildings such as the Unitarian Chapel were used for services following the raid, a new synagogue was clearly needed. Indeed, in August 1945 a price was agreed on for the site of the replacement synagogue. A war damage claim helped with the costs and the foundation stone was laid by Chief Rabbi Dr Israel Brodie on 30 October 1952. The Chief Rabbi also consecrated the synagogue on 28 April 1955 and it opened the same year. In 1980, the 25th Anniversary of the new synagogue: Ffynone Synagogue was celebrated. Source: Saunders, N. H. The Swansea Jewish Community: Beginning and Becomings, (Swansea: Unpublished, 1980).

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment