Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


A black and white photograph of the interior of Ffynone Synagogue, Swansea, date unknown, but it must have been taken in 1955 or later as this was when the building work was completed. The photograph of Ffynone Synagogue includes several of the most important features of any synagogue: the Bimah, the Ark and Ner Tamid. The Bimah is the raised platform that Torah readings are given from; the Ark contains the Torah Scrolls which are usually ornately decorated; and Ner Tamid (‘Eternal Light’) is a lamp with hangs above the Ark and represents the menorah that burned in front of the Temple in Jerusalem. Ffynone Synagogue was built to replace Goat Street Synagogue which was destroyed during the fateful bombing of February 1941. While other religious buildings such as the Unitarian Chapel were used for services following the raid, a new synagogue was clearly needed. Indeed, in August 1945 a price was agreed on for the site of the replacement synagogue. A war damage claim helped with the costs and the foundation stone was laid by Chief Rabbi Dr Israel Brodie on 30 October 1952. The Chief Rabbi also consecrated the synagogue on 28 April 1955 and it opened the same year. In 1980, the 25th Anniversary of the new synagogue: Ffynone Synagogue was celebrated. Sources: Saunders, N. H. The Swansea Jewish Community: Beginning and Becomings, (Swansea: Unpublished, 1980). Rabbi Michael Strassfeld and Sharon Strassfeld, Guide to the Synagogue Sanctuary, From Ark to Yad, (2021), [accessed 10 May 2021] Rabbi Michael Strassfeld and Sharon Strassfeld,The Synagogue: Ner Tamid, (2021) [accessed 10 May 2021]

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment