arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Programme of celebrations in Pontypridd commemorating the investiture of HRH Prince Charles as Prince of Wales on 1 July 1969

  • View map

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1
Image 2:Download link to the full resolution of image number 2
full resolution of image 2

Description

Programme entitled 'Investiture of HRH Prince Charles as Prince of Wales at Caernarvon Castle 1 July 1969: Programme of Celebrations in Pontypridd'. Contains a full page advertisement for Aero Zipp Fasteners based at Treforest Industrial Estate, Pontypridd, one of the Jewish businesses invited to Britain prior to World War II.

Aero Zipp Fasteners Ltd (original name London Metal & Refining Zip) was founded in 1939 by Joachim Koppel, an Austrian Jew who spent many years of his life in Berlin and fled Nazi Germany during the 1930’s. Aero Zipp produced metal zip fasteners. At the outbreak of World War Two, they began working on aircraft components and gauge making (tool, jigs, fixtures) for the Ministry of Supply and the Ministry of Production. They also produced lighters, powder compacts, aluminium knitting needles, small engineering parts, stamping. The factory was located at A.1 Treforest Industrial Estate, Pontypridd. Aero Zip Fasteners Ltd ceased to exist in its own right in the early 1970s when it was bought by an American zip manufacturer, Talon Division of Textron Inc, based in Massachusetts, USA. Talon closed the Treforest plant in 1982 and ceased trading in the UK at the same time. There is currently an Aero Zipp Ltd trading in Merthyr Tydfil, which acquired the Aero trademark in 1989. However, this company has no connections to the original family.

Depository: Rhondda Heritage Park.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment