• Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item


Photographed by Geoff Charles. This photograph was taken following the final service to be held Capel Celyn Calvinistic Methodist chapel on 28 September 1963. The two policemen, Wil Jones, Fron-goch, and Ken Williams, Bala, had been sent to the area to keep an eye on the proceedings.

It was in 1955 that it was first announced that Liverpool Corporation was intending to build the new reservoir in the Tryweryn valley, drowning the village of Capel Celyn, north of Bala. Although a fierce protest campaign was launched by local residents, authorities, individuals and national institutions, all efforts to halt the building of the new reservoir ultimately failed. On 1 August 1957 the Liverpool Corporation Act was passed. Work began on the site three years later and was completed in August 1965.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment