Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.


Criccieth - Lôn Fel.

To many older residents “Lover’s Lane” is the path that runs from Cefn Castell, halfway to the river Dwyfor, for about a mile in a northerly direction. It is very muddy and ends in a small field by a damp alder grove. A more suitable stroll for courting couples is Lôn Fel (Honey Lane) which is named “Love Lane” on old postcards and photos. This is on the west side of Criccieth and runs from the seashore at Abereistedd, uphill to the housing estate at Ty’n Rhos. There is a lower and upper half as it is bisected by the main Pwllheli Road. The lower part is busy as it serves the Penaber, Gwaun Canol and Muriau estates. After the main road is crossed it changes completely. It is paved for its full length but its width varies considerably. Passing the old gate house on the left there is a fairly wide section to the entrance to Parciau. This was a small farm where Ellis Annwyl Owen, the rector of Llanystumdwy lived. In 1873, wealthy ship owner Captain Thomas Williams bought it and had it rebuilt as a fine house. On the right is the back entrance to Parciau Mawr. Some of the old outbuildings have been converted to dwellings. Here also is a Grade II listed Hay Barn. The road now narrows and is shaded by old trees, leading up to two cottages, Ty Clap and Hen Berllan. A path to the left leads to Bron Eifion. After the cottages there is a twist in the road. There used to be a small bench on this corner which was very popular with the sweet hearts. The trees on the right (east) side thin and the aspect opens up to a truly wonderful view of the castle, Tremadog Bay and the Meirionnydd Hills. By the time the cottages at Parciau Bach are reached everyone has stopped to admire the panorama.

About fifty yards above these cottages there used to be a small farm, Parciau Bach Uchaf. This was demolished and is now the gardens of Brynawelon. A peek through the hedge will see the memorial garden that David Lloyd George had built in 1941 in memory of his wife Dame Margaret. Sadly, this is now overgrown. We are nearing the top of the lane now. On the right side is a reminder of its former days – the side gate into the gardens, now badly rotted away. On here are carved hundreds of initials and names carved by romantic young lads. Today it is weathered and covered with moss making it difficult to read the names of those courting couples of days gone by. Ahead is the housing estate, on the left the back road to Llanystumdwy and on the right, the main entrance to Brynawelon, former home of Prime Minister Lloyd George and his daughter Megan Lloyd George, Wales’s first female MP and now a nursing home. That’s our pleasant walk along Lôn Fel (Honey Lane), a truly apt name.

Do you have information to add to this item? Please leave a comment

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment