arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government

Description

This picture illustrates an early age of motorised transport, although it is clear from the photograph that such vehicles were few, and that traffic congestion was no problem in the 1920s. Prior to this period it was only mules and horses which waited outside inns and hotels for their drivers... a common practice which led to the saying that, following refreshments, 'too often mules would restart their journey like gentlemen and the drivers like mules'.

The hotel in the picture, dating from 1886, takes its name from the original name of the district. Bontnewydd means 'new bridge'. Like Treharris, Trelewis developed in the late 19th century as a small community of mining families who depended on the winning of coal. The most important communication link was always to the source of employment - at the neighbouring Deep Navigation Colliery.

Improved transport links, in terms of the roads and bridges, were encouraged by the opening of the new collieries at Taff Merthyr in 1926 and Trelewis Drift in 1954.

Source: Merthyr Tydfil Public Libraries (1991) 'Valley Views, Books 2: transport.'

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment