arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Tal-y-Cafn Castle 02

  • View map
Map 1st Edition (1868-1892) 2nd Edition (1899-1908) 3rd Edition (1920-1932) 4th Edition (1938-1954) Tithe Map
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item
  • Download (non-commercial use only)

Content can be downloaded for non-commercial purposes, such as for personal use or in educational resources.
For commercial purposes please contact the copyright holder directly.
Read more about the The Creative Archive Licence.

Image 1:Download link to the full resolution of image number 1
full resolution of image 1

Description

Situated at the eastern end of an ancient and Roman road which passes above Abergwyngregyn and its sister castle of Pen-y-Mwd, as far as Segontium (modern Caernarfon) passing through the Bwlch y Ddaufaen (the Pass of Two Stones - see collection Romans in the Conwy Valley by Maldimo52). Not a lot is known about this castle mound, which is believed to have been built by Maelgwn Gwynedd to control the lowest crossing point of the River Conwy. Now damaged by quarrying the stone during the construction of the modern Baily Bridge across the river.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment