arrowbookcheckclosecommentfacebookfavourite-origfavouritegooglehomeibapdfsearchsharespotlighttwitterwelsh-government
  • Use stars to collect & save items A vector image of star to represent action to save this item   Login to save this item

Description

Another site mentioned in the Machynlleth Borough Guide which we can no longer see is the English Christ Church.

It was built in 1881, but closed for worship on 3 October 1965 and was demolished in August 1967.

The site is now occupied by the town’s library. The foundation stone of the church has been retained and has been set up in the entrance. It was unveiled by the Bishop of Bangor in March 1990 and reads: ‘Under this spot was laid by Mary Cornelia, Marchioness of Londonderry, on the 1st day of June AD 1881. This is none other than the house of God.’

The tombstones of Mary Cornelia, Marchioness of Londonderry and other members of Y Plas family, can be seen in the churchyard of St Peter’s.

Comments (0)

You must be logged in to leave a comment